Friday, March 11, 2016

The Dome of Light: Doors

 
This is my design for the doors of the Dome of Light, as I like to call it. It has the potential to be a temple, a dwelling, a teahouse, or some combination of all three. This isn't the only possible design for the doors, of course; I'll post one or two more later on when I can find and photograph the relevant drawings. This piece is executed in watercolor. I envisage the completed doors as a matching pair of relief sculptures, hinged so that they open inwards.

2 comments:

  1. "It has the potential to be a temple, a dwelling, a tea house, or some combination of all three."

    How I wish your project were a completed reality. I would visit often. Tonight for example when I'm feeling old lost, and weary. Such a Holy place would truly revive my Spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At present I can think of two ways of approaching the project: first, as a moveable feast, a traveling shrine that packs into a wagon and can be moved from place to place, and erected as a temporary temple of hospitality which eventually moves on to the next locale; second, as a permanent installation. The second is likely to be a much more costly option, because of the need for real estate on which to install the work. Perhaps land might be donated, but one would need the permission of the local authorities and the good will of whatever happens to be the local community.

    Also, there are degrees of costliness in terms of the quality and permanence of the building materials. One possibility is that I might build the dome in low-cost temporary materials, put the mobile option into action, and see if any communities are sufficiently friendly to the project to want a permanent installation. This might be worth trying out, but the commitment on the artist's part would be a huge one. Will it work? Does anyone want this? That is the question.

    ReplyDelete