Saturday, March 5, 2016

El Carpeta


Earlier this year I came upon a video of this young flamenco dancer performing at a venue in Madrid. I thought it might be entertaining, so I watched. I got far more than I bargained for. I was completely bowled over by his performance, and by the power and beauty of flamenco. Now I'm a fan. In fact I've become rather obsessed with the topic.

This drawing is based on a photo associated with the same video. I drew it in charcoal and pastel. The dimensions of the original are 12 by 16 inches (about 30 by 40 centimeters). I'm thinking of doing more work in the same vein, and in other mediums as well.

His name is Manuel Fernandez Montoya. El Carpeta is his professional name. He's one of three brothers, all great dancers in a family dedicated to flamenco. If you want to see a stunning video, do a YouTube search for "El Carpeta Casa Patas 59," or other videos with his name.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Kevin... great to hear we can post here casually. Great site and we really love your work. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love El Carpeta. This is a really nice blog too. Willem

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anon. It's so good to hear people appreciate what I'm doing. I'll keep it coming.

    Glad you like the blog Willem. El Carpeta's a marvel, no?. I mean to do more art work of him; he's a most inspiring subject.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have become an adherent to the faith of El Carpeta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's still going strong. I want to do more art work of him, especially pix of him dancing. It's the True Faith!

    ReplyDelete