Thursday, May 26, 2016

Freehand Ink


This is drawn freehand using a brush loaded with acorn ink that I made myself. You gather the acorns in early autumn, you simmer them for a few days, and you mix the resulting fluid with a spoonful of rusty vinegar that you've prepared in advance. It's pretty good ink, and I've found that I like the tone. Tannic acid from the acorns is what makes it work.

I also made the paper from recycled materials. It's cast on a mold that's 12 by 15 inches, but I've cropped in when making this shot so the dimensions here are somewhat smaller.

*********

Update and correction: I did indeed draw this piece in ink I made myself, but the paper is not made by me. It's standard Strathmore sketch paper, 11 by 14 inches. This pieces on blue-tinted paper that I posted today (31 May 2016) are done on my own paper: Boy Zeus and his eagle.

No comments:

Post a Comment