Wednesday, April 13, 2016

El Carpeta: Graphite


I made this drawing of El Carpeta from a poster. The original photo dates from 2012. The drawing is made in graphite with a technical pencil on Strathmore sketch paper. This is a study for a watercolor that I want to do of the same image. The picture below is also of El Carpeta, drawn from a photo using graphite, charcoal and pastel on super-fine Fabriano paper. I'm not fully satisfied with either drawing, but they kind of let you in on my process, as they're studies for what I intend to be more finished pieces.

 
 
Drawing beautiful people presents one with a bit of a problem. It pretty much imposes a need to work from photos, almost always taken by other people. Very rarely does one come across someone so good looking, and when you do it's even rarer that you get a chance to draw them from life. The best solution would be to photograph them oneself, with permission, and use the resulting photos for reference. Then there's no question of originality, and no copyright problem. But I have yet to have a chance to make this arrangement; with a bit of luck, maybe sometime in future I will.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment