Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Parabolics: Diamond Spiral




In my first post I mentioned that the background to the image of Helios is based on the geometry of a diamond spiral configuration, like the heart of a sunflower. Hopefully this image shows more clearly what that means. This is a parabolic dish that I built out of humble materials like corrugated paperboard, aluminum foil, bookbinding glue and art paper. It's about 22 inches in diameter. I made my first one with the idea of creating a solar concentrator. After building it I found that if you place a light source at the focus of the paraboloid, the reflecting surface throws the light back at you very dramatically. Even quite a feeble light source such as a candle shows up quite well, as you can see here.

As in my images of Helios and Eros ascendant, these curves are logarithmic spirals. There are various ways of generating such spirals, which I may post about at a later time.

In time, I would like to create images of Helios and other subjects on picture surfaces in the form of a parabolic dish using reflective materials, such that they can be illuminated with a candle or candles, like this dish here. I feel these would make excellent altar pieces.

2 comments:

  1. That's the idea. Also, this geometry can be the basis of a solar concentrator powerful enough to smelt metal. Us artists don't generally get much in the way of personal power in any form, so it'd make a refreshing change. I think I'll do it.

    ReplyDelete