Sunday, February 21, 2016

Gods of Cythera: Eros


On one level this is Eros, god of love. It's also the ascent of the soul toward the ineffable One, a concept from Hermetic philosophy. Hence it's a visual expression of emanationist philosophy, in which all creation descends in a hierarchy of being from a source that is beyond personality.

The enclosing heart shape didn't come from a candy box or a Hallmark card. As with the piece before it, the bounding curves describe a logarithmic spiral. The same geometry governs the shapes of the rays and flames emanating from their common source at the heart of the spirals. And as with the piece before it, I made this one in watercolor, ink and gouache on tinted paper. The dimensions are 12 by 16 inches.

 In my work the divine is sexy, and vice-versa.

2 comments:

  1. I believe I had the honor of posting this in my most recent nuked blog. ...it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I hope they didn't nuke it on my account. Hopefully there were lots of shocking photos as well.

    ReplyDelete